Welcome To The World Autism Organisation:
Hello Friend! We are glad you found your way here!
Please come back often, and make sure you visit the Event and News pages – we will post the latest conferences and events that come to our attention, e.g.
The 2nd Balkan International Autism Conference ONLINE!
20th– 24th of May 2021 in Izmir – TURKEY
(N.B. The time on the programme refers to Turkish time: TRT (UTC+3)
For details and registration go to the conference website: EVENTS
NOTE: THE PRESENTATIONS WILL BE ACCESSIBLE AFTERWARDS FOR DELEGATES WHO HAVE REGISTERED AND PAID!
It was decided at the General Assembly in 2020 that INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIP be reduced from €30 to €15,
to make membership more accessible for those in lesser resourced countries or circumstances.
to renew your membership or sign up. (Membership renewal forms get sent out in January).
You also have the opportunity to GIFT membership:
Members may gift or sponsor individual membership by filling in their chosen beneficiary’s details or by sending it as an open sponsorship to be allocated by the Membership committee.
If you would like to apply for sponsored membership, you may do so by sending an email to email@example.com with SPONSORED MEMBER in the subject line and the following details:
Your name; whether you are autistic, a family member of someone who is autistic, a teacher, assistant, care worker or how you are involved with Autism; your postal and email address, country where you live and a short motivation as to why you need to be sponsored. Sponsorships may be granted depending on donor sponsorships being available. The membership sponsor committee will take the final decision and no discussions will be entered into. We would also like to know in what way you hope to make a difference within your community with your sponsored membership from the WAO.
To make sure you don’t miss any information and news, please consider becoming a member and/or supporter:
PLEASE GET INVOLVED and Become a Member
We rely on your help in promoting WAO and we need your help by giving us an indication of what you’d like to see on the site.
Our major ongoing project is the ‘Patron’ system of supporting us. More can be gleaned from the following document:
PATRONS & SPONSORS
THE WAO DOES NOT HAVE SALARIED EMPLOYEES,
WE ARE ALL VOLUNTEERS, THUS ANY AND ALL FUNDS GO TOWARDS
IMPROVING THE LIVES OF THOSE WITH AUTISM AND THEIR FAMILIES.
WE ARE GRATEFUL FOR ANY AND ALL DONATIONS TO SUPPORT OUR WORK:
To DONATE any amount:
WAO Account details:
World Autism Organisation
53 Fawcett Str; Sunderland; SR11RS; England
Branch code: 20:83:69
Account number: 13790401
Please send proof of payment, including Amount and Full Name of Donor or Organisation Name, email address and telephone number to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Thank you for your support!
For more information, questions and notification of broken links, please send an email to email@example.com
We hope that you are keeping healthy and safe by following the rules of sanitising, masking and keeping a safe distance. It is a difficult time for everyone around the world. We hope to be able to share some good practices and visual explanations so that it is easier to manage our daily lives within the home and outside in the community and in society.
OBJECTIVES AND FUNCTIONS
The objectives of World Autism Organisation are :
- to promote among all people and nations the highest possible quality of life for people with autism and their families. To this end World Autism Organisation will act as:
- an advocate of measures to promote such quality of life;
- a leader in developing, proposing and recommending such measures;
- a communicator of plans for and progress of autistic projects and practices;
- a co-ordinator of efforts of national member associations, government agencies, professional groups and international organisations to advance understanding and services for persons with autism;
- where no such national organisation exists, provide information directly to autistic people their parents and families and if they so request provide support in the establishment of such an organisation.
- to strengthen the self-awareness of persons with autism, to develop their personality, self-respect and sense of responsibility ;
- to advance the rights of people with autism and their families without regard to nationality, race, gender or creed, by securing on their behalf from all possible sources, the provision of support, residential, educational, training, employment and welfare health services ;
- to create a common bond of understanding among persons with autism, their parents and families throughout the world ;
- to promote the interests of persons with autism and their families by bringing about co-operation among organisations representing national endeavour in their behalf ;
- to promote the highest possible level of knowledge and competency among professionals of autism, encompassing the most current scientific information and validated techniques.
The functions of the World Autism Organisation are:
To attain the above objectives, the World Autism Organisation, in collaboration with Regional and National Organisations, will work consistently and tirelessly :
- to improve and modernise throughout the world public policies and practices governing the education, health, welfare, social security, rehabilitation,
employment, sports and recreation for people with autism ;
- to encourage the exchange of information and experience between all organisations whose activities relate to the goals of World Autism Organisation ;
- to disseminate accurate information and to promote enlightened attitudes on the part of the people of the world towards people with autism ;
to encourage and co-ordinate the conduct of research and studies in all fields of autism ;
- to promote and co-ordinate technical and material assistance in furtherance of the aims of World Autism Organisation in areas where such help is required ;
- to solicit the support of national governments, national and international organisations everywhere to support programmes and policies of World Autism Organisation
and of organisations of and for people with autism and their families, and to assist and to advise those bodies in their implementation ;
- to take any other measures necessary or conducive to the achievement of the objectives of World Autism Organisation.
Definition of Autism
According to our current constitution, Autism is understood in accordance with the definitions formulated in the DSM-IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorder IV) and the ICD 10 (International Classification of Diseases). As this is outdated, a proposal to update the definition and Autism information will be tabled at the GA in November 2020.
We are in the process of updating the definition in line with the UNCRPD, We are enlisting the help of Autistics to formulate an Autism-friendly definition which takes into consideration the lived experience of Autism, as well as acknowledging the need for a formal or fairly uniform definition for assessment and diagnostic purposes. We welcome your input to firstname.lastname@example.org